Thursday, October 16, 2008

Talk about giving me the shits...

Yesterday I donated some of my claret to the Blood Bank during which they totally butchered my elbow. But that's not what gave me the shits.

I don't know how many of my readers remem
ber the TV sitcom Roseanne. I figure an even smaller number remember the episode where Roseanne forces her son DJ to become friends with guest star Florence Henderson's son, Elijah. DJ refuses to do so because Elijah is *weird*. When asked to explain why he's *weird*, DJ says (and we see) that Elijah sings to himself in public. Not loudly, but audibly enough for people to hear it.

There was a *singer* sitting behind me while I waited to give blood yesterday. Sure, it was under her breath, but audibly enough for me to hear her doing the looping *woooaaaahhh-oooahh-oooaahhs!!!* from Coldplay's Viva La Vida. Out of tune, mind you. Oh how I resisted the temptation to turn around and sing along with her to make her shut up. Or just to turn around to tell her to shut up. I resisted. I was serious good yesterday.

And here's a (bad) photo of my butchered vein for those who are curious.
The flash deleted most of it but you can see the puncture and surrounding bruise (blue arrow & red circle) which was still bleeding 10 hours later when I tried to take off the dressing and but what really surprised me was another bruise about a centimetre down my elbow! Don't worry about the yellow tinge, that's just the iodine - the area was a bit too tender to scrub it off.

2 comments:

Vanilla Bear said...

This looks horrific! :O

It's making me feel all funny just looking! I hate that area of the arm, when I was little I had to have blood taken from the back of my hand because I got too squeamish about needles going in the middle of my arm!

Flaneur said...

Normally it's the humming that gets to me. But either way u were really good - pat on the back for 'being nice' and 'being really nice'.