Monday, October 27, 2008

Weekend roundup!

After the exhaustion of the past week, I am happy to say that I did no work at all during this weekend. Yes, I got to sleep in (yay), lounge around the house (double yay), and then meet up with Rachie Poo for lunch, shopping, and cake (triple YAY!!!). Given that I'm guessing you don't want to read about my sleeping in (although it was pretty damn fantastic), I will talk about the cake.

First off, Rachie started off the day by telling me I
'd lost weight. Later, after a hard day's shopping, we decided to get cake to make up for the precious calories that I'd burnt off. We went to Little Cupcakes (#7, 250 Flinders Street, down from Degraves St, next to Smitten Kitten). Their washing machine was broken so they could only serve us on serviettes, but that's okay because I forgot to bring my camera so you can't see the presentation anyway.
Rachie had the coffee flavoured normal-sized, while I had red velvet normal plus the strawberry mini-sized. I've heard of red velvet but never had one before (I think it's an American thing?). The waiter told me it was 70% vanilla/30% cocoa - the decreased cocoa part give the cake it's reddish rather than brown colouring. The cake was crumbly, perhaps slightly on the dry side but this was compensated by the rich cream cheese frosting. When my bites encompassed both elements of the cupcake it was extremely pleasing. The mini cupcakes really are one bite sized.

Anyway, while we were eating our cakes, Rachie and I started discussing the art of baking. Rachie had always believed herself a poor baker - turns out her cakes never worked because she was trying to cut out things like sugar and butter, much to my amazement. After I explained the fat/sugar/creaming thing, we decided to go back to her place and BAKE another cake :D.

We made an eggy lemon cake with sugar crust top. It was delish but again, we forgot to take a photo. Actually, that was probably for the best because it sank a little bit in the middle. There was plenty leftover so I took it in for this morning tea where it went down a right treat.
The recipe was actually incredibly easy and when Rachie emails me the recipe, I will post it here so that you may all make it and try it out!

3 comments:

Vanilla Bear said...

You are so Remy! ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great Sunday! I've just emailed you the Lemon cake with crunchy topping recipe ;)

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh - love the Red Velvet!
YUMMM!!