Saturday, December 07, 2013

Cooking attempts

This is a story about how two attempts to make food were foiled in various ways...mostly stemming from living in Munich.

Firstly, I was 'requested' by my IHG colleagues to make some cake for them given that I would be leaving the PROT/IHG groups and they would never be receiving them again. Nutella cupcakes were requested but as I was about to make the icing before cutting open them open, I discovered that I had no icing sugar! And it was past 8pm so I couldn't buy any either!
Luckily I had frozen raspberries so I made a coulis to go with them instead. 

Secondly, I finally decided to try and make spaghetti with clams after eating it so many times in Rome. Being so far away from the sea, I bought some frozen blood clams and fried them up.
They looked and smelled lovely but....none of them opened?!?! It was with a heavy heart that I threw them out because while I knew that when cooking live shellfish, the ones that stay closed were dead and should not be eaten, but I wasn't sure about frozen shellfish and wasn't about to take that risk. I'm going to have to find a good fishmonger in Munich. :'(

No comments: