Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Gazi and story from the salon

It occurs to me that the dual aims of meeting up with friends and eating at new places partially backfired. I got to eat at great places and to see old friends but I have little to show for it. Well, okay, I have my memories but my brain camera doesn't produce photos for the blog. 

Anyway, upon receiving news that I would be back, Gordo organised a lunch at Gazi, George Calombaris' new place (for me). Also present were Gordo's sister (the killing machine - she's in the UK army), Amandine, Pooey, Mischka, and Babby.
Relaxed parent and child. Hilarious scenes later when Babby let fly a giant scream of hunger. Her face squished up like a grapefruit!

While I seem to have forgotten to take a photo of my duck souvlaki (yum), here's what I did manage to photograph!
Crispy lambs brains. You know, I love offal. Some people may thumb their noses at eating organ meats but to those who enjoy this will know the tasty contrast of the crispy batter with the creamy, almost oozing flesh inside. Try it at least once!

Cheesy corn! Amandine cut her kernels off in order to maximise the cheese to corn experience. The rest of us used our hands like the neanderthals we are. 

Chips and dip. No need to explain. 

Dessert time! Loukomathes - greek 'donuts' with nutella. Good, but not as good as the...

BOMBE METAXA!!! Similar to a baked alaska, it was chocolate ice cream covered in meringe, then doused in metaxa and set on fire. Recommended to us by the waitress - credit where it's due, we really enjoyed this. 

Grilled pineapple, popcorn, mousse and coconut sorbet. As I was the first to taste this, when asked what I thought of it, my reply was 'ham'. This confused me and the others as there was no ham inside it, but sure enough, when the others had a taste, they too said it reminded them of ham. Curious.

We all went our separate ways after lunch, except for me and Pooders. We headed off to organise a haircut for me. As you all know, I normally have long flowing hair which I like to curl because I'm super-girly. This time (also on medical advice), I chose to get a short bob. Cue some beauty-box.jp surfing!
My choice. Good length, nice fringe, looks fairly low maintenance for lazy me.

I didn't take any photos of my hair after the cut. It was strange to see all my hair on the floor of salon and even stranger to run my hands through my hair and have it only go so far. But you'll see how it looks soon enough!

No comments: